Saturday, April 15, 2006

GCT7XZ Tiny Tooshie's Tokens

We road bikes from our house. Other than losing our chains downshifting a few times, things went pretty well. I noticed how much the tag-a-longs for the kids could sway. And any time the kids swung their weight, the whole tag-a-long swayed hard, pulling the parent a little off course. I wonder if it was something about our model - or if it was something about tag-a-longs in general.
We go to the bottom of the hill on powers where it crossed the bridge. But I was pretty sure we needed to approach the cache from the Northern side of the creek. So we had to cross over to the powerline trail. This meant crossing a sandy hillock that required pushing the bikes. Not very comfortable when you don't get off. :) But we made the approach. I may have to invest in a GPS holder for my bike, and riding and looking for a cache on the GPS while holding the GPS was a little shakey. But this was fun! It was nice to find an easier cache.
GCT7XZ Tiny Tooshie's Tokens Small 1.5/1.5
Pirate3 Pirate2 MrWitzAbout - MrsWitzAbout standing guard
Found-It log: April 14, 2006 by WitzAbout
We were out for a bike ride this afternoon. Mrs.WitzAbout is in training. We each had a Pirate on tag-along. I checked Google Earth for the location of this cache - seeming to be near our route. I took us a little off-road as we were going along powers. We got to the general area, and realized we needed to hoof it the last 175 feet.
I looked for a good spot to head down - it was back about 20 feet from where we stopped the bikes. I headed down. I was followed a minute later by Pirate #2, then another minute by Pirate #3. We crossed over a micro-stream which required a small hop. Pirate #2 decided he needed to take a long running jump at the creek, it was cute. I went back and helped Pirate #3 cross. We headed down. I'm glad the steep parts didn't last too long :)
The GPSr got us to the general area. It kept pointing in as I circled the spot. I figured this one would be similar to the last one of this type by this team. I was right. I spotted something that I thought was the target. I just realized now that this is the most accurate my GPSr has been in a long time.
I held my place about 5 feet away to let the Pirates catch up. Without having to give any clues, Pirate #3 moved in and got the offical spotting for this cache. We opened it up - it took surprising bit of force to get the lid off. The Pirates quickly found trade items that made them happy: Pirate #2 took the Darth Vader figure and Pirate #3 took the flower thingy (technical term :) ).
I signed the log, and we left a tiny Uno game, an ornage plastic toy and a mini-Narnia snow globe.
Thanks for the cache - this was a fun and rewarding find!
The kids really enjoyed playing in the nearby playgorund for a little while afterwards. I even made a quick sand mountain for them to crush. We took some turns on the swings. I plays the rollercoaster swing game and the how-did-you-get-away game. Then we decided to return home via the Eastern secret path, going back through the Fairfax development.

Nearby Powers Road Bridge


Deep Gully near the Tokens Cache

No comments: